Guess what? I finally made a t-shirt that fits. This is the last t-shirt from my project to resize Large shirts to Small shirts. Except for some small folds near the shoulder/chest (which I will explain below) it looks good to me.
I also made this blue t-shirt, but the fit here is too loose for my taste. For this blue shirt, the pattern is (if I recall correctly) one inch narrower than my brown t-shirt. However, for the black t-shirt, I really went crazy and took off 2 inches from each side for a total of 4 inches narrower in the front and 4 inches narrower in the back. That was definitely a good idea because the black one looks much better in my opinion.
Now I think I have come up with a good sloper pattern for a knit shirt. Too bad it is too cold to wear it today.
Here is my theory of why all these shirts have folds in the shoulder/chest area. I took the photo above while I was cutting this “Medium” shirt down to size. The front side is on the right. Although the fabric is totally flat, you can see a big wrinkle under the front neckline. Why? This doesn’t make any sense to me, because I would think the fabric should be FLAT. However, there is no way to make it flat (except perhaps by tearing out the neck ribbing).
I have a feeling that if I am cutting knit fabric from the fabric store, rather than repurposing t-shirts, then I will not have this problem. I will also not have the problem of folds appearing in the shoulder/chest area, which you can see in all my photos.
I almost wonder if this is some “3 dimensional fabric” or something. I can understand why this fold exists — chubbier people have bigger chests than me. But, I don’t want that fold on my clothes.
All the shirts’ sleeves are cut from the same pattern and I think this sleeve looks pretty good.
Back looks okay to me (shoulder folds appearing again, though).
Here is the way I was told to do a t-shirt hem. I ran the serger along the hem, then folded the serged hem allowance into the inside of the shirt. Then I sewed it in place with a row of straight stitches (length 4mm). On my machine I had the presser foot pressure set to “4″ (out of 10) and I didn’t need to pull on it or have any problems with gathering or anything like that.
All the other seams in the shirt have also been serged for durability.
The only thing I did not change in these t-shirts is the neckline… I just left the neck as it was with the ribbing in place. Some other time when I am doing a shirt from scratch I will have to learn how to do a neckline…